Deciding to take that first step towards a healthier you is not easy. It’s not only about losing weight it’s about creating and leading a new lifestyle. Although the journey may sometimes be emotionally and physically draining, it is well worth it. Whether you achieved your weight loss goals through bariatric surgery or diet and exercise, celebrate your accomplishments.
It is common for people who have experienced substantial weight loss find themselves feeling uncomfortable with the excess skin present in various parts of their bodies such as:
- Upper arms sag
- Breasts flatten and hang
- Buttocks, groin and thighs sag
- The abdominal area extends around the sides and into the lower back area
Types of Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
After losing weight, many people start to consider cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin and address body issues from being obese. Many people feel as if their excess skin serves as a constant reminder of the body they once had and opt for post-bariatric/body contouring procedures in order to finalize their weight loss journey. Body contouring improves the shape and tissue tone that supports fat and skin, also removing the excess sagging. The result is a natural appearance with smoother and pleasing contours. There is a variety of procedures that can be customized to fit your specific post-weight loss needs like:
- Brachioplasty / Arm Lift – Upper arm skin that is loose and sagging can be corrected with this surgical procedure.
- Liposculpture – Sculpts the shape of the body by removing unwanted fat from the upper arms, chin, cheeks, neck abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs and knees.
- Lower face and neck lift- Superficial Muscular Aponeurotic System (SMAS) tissue is repositioned
- Upper Body Lift – This procedure removes excess skin and restores the contour to the upper back around to the sides of the chest and underarm areas.
- Lower Body Lift – Removes excess fat and skin above and below the umbilicus and tightens the abdominal muscles and reshapes the abdomen, lower back, waist, thighs and buttocks for more toned and defined contours.
- Brazilian Butt Lift – This procedure improves thigh contour for a more flattering and toned posterior.
- Buttocks/Fat Transfer – For patients with a little volume in the buttocks, this procedure removes fat from one place on the body using liposuction, and then injects it into the appropriate place in buttocks.
- Buttocks Implants – This is a solution for those who want to have a more defined behind. Soft silicone implants – all with a natural look and firmness – come in a wide range of shapes and sizes.
- Thigh Lift – Get shapelier thighs with this highly effective and discreet procedure.
- Abdominoplasty- removing excess skin on the abdomen
A common concern among patients considering undergoing post-weight loss procedures are the scars resulting from the incisions. Although scars will be present, they will be strategically placed to make them barely noticeable. For example, during a body lift the excess skin is removed by making an incision along the torso that is very low. For a thigh lift, the incision runs on the inner thigh and along the inguinal crease in order to hide it more effectively. For most patients, the trade-off between excess skin and scars is a minor obstacle in achieving the contoured body they want and deserve.
When it comes to downtime most procedures take about 2-3 weeks of recovery time. Sometimes patients want to undergo various procedures at a time but the number of procedures allowed depends on the magnitude of the procedure and their overall health. In addition, it is important for patients to have realistic expectations and discuss further details with their surgeons.
Whether you decide to have post-bariatric procedures or not, you have come a long way so congratulations on your achievements!Contact Us Now